Monday, November 3, 2008

Review Time.

First, quick review by me. Then the real review.

Now since I have not had the opportunity to actually use the camera, this is just an opinionated review based on reviews I have read and videos I have seen, so therefore, not an viable review. Just my thoughts. So, I'm happy that the Mark 2 is finally here. I was also happy to see that many of features I was hoping for actually ended up on the camera. Canon did a great job with exceeding expectation in some areas, but left me a little down in others. First the ups: 21 Megapixel jump instead of the expected 16 Megapixel route we all thought Canon would take. Full HD Movie mode? Wasn't expecting that at all. I have been very on the fence about video being in a professional camera body, but the more I think about being out in the field as a Photojournalist, the more essential use I can see it having. Just a huge perk, really, and since there is no harm done to the overall camera and it's improvements as well, there should be no complaints. The downs are no true weather proofing, which I really was wanting. Also, even though it is not a huge deal, I would have liked to see the Frames Per Second rise at least to 5FPS. Overall, great improvements, mostly more than I expected. I'm only hearing good things, except for those that just like to hark on Canon because they have some personal vendetta against them. There is tons more I could speak about when it comes to the new sensor, LCD screen, custom functions, etc. But I think I'll leave that up to the Professionals. Here are two links; one to the D.P. Review review and one to a video on the Mark 2.

2 comments:

Darren said...

I agree with you about the video. Perhaps it is fitting for a photojournalist. But I am a firm believer the professional has a tool for the job at hand. The camera looks great, but I think my next camera will be the EOS 1 (whatever the current version is at the time). I'll keep my current 5d as backup.

ryan tyrl said...

Would be nice if it was faster...but like you mentioned...pros out way the cons. Word.